The holiday season is in full swing. Over the next several weeks we will all be busy shopping, eating, and traveling. Thieves take full advantage of the holiday season because they know that that there are many expensive items in homes and cars, people are traveling and not home, and that police are overloaded. Should theft occur, home or renter’s insurance will provide coverage for theft or loss if you have the coverage.
Holiday Shopping Safety
Whether you are holiday shopping at the mall, online, or a little of both, keeping yourself and your personal information safe is important. Here are a few holiday shopping safety tips:
Store Shopping Safety Tips:
- Always be aware of your surroundings and don’t let your cell phone distract you.
- Lock your shopping bags in your trunk and make sure car doors and windows are locked.
- Never allow children to make unaccompanied trips to the restroom.
- Always park in lighted areas. DO NOT park in remote areas.
- Shop with a friend.
- Avoid wearing expensive jewelry.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- As you return to your car, make sure to keep your car key in your hand.
Online Shopping Safety Tips:
- Research online retailers to make sure they're legitimate.
- Make sure the website is secure.
- Know your rights and the company's returns policy.
- Keep software and virus protection up-to-date and use strong passwords for online accounts.
- Don't use public Wi-Fi.
- Pay using a credit card.
All of us at William G. Mechling Insurance Agency truly value the long term relationship with our clients, and are proud to give families, individuals and businesses the personal attention required when it matters most. When claims arise, we realize that it can be very stressful and will do everything possible to assure timely and complete recovery.